Thursday, October 7, 2010

New Style: Flat Twist Crown

On any given day, I’ll browse photos on NaturalSunshine.com and Youtube trying to get some ideas on how to style my twa.  Sometimes, I’ll see a cute style and think to myself, “my hair texture is not like hers so it probably won’t look that way on me” or “my hair isn’t as long as hers so that probably won’t work.” …Now I know I tend to over think some things but I also know I’m NOT the only curly girl that has those thoughts…Heck you don’t even have to rock natural hair to have those type of thoughts!! Lol.  But then I realized that thinking that way won’t get me anywhere so… I press on!!  I came across this particular style from a few videos I watched on Youtube and thought, hmmm, that’s simple yet cute!!  But of course, the other negative, discouraging thoughts immediately followed. I decided to brush them aside and said to myself, “Whatever!” One day I was bored with doing the same ole slicked back or bobby pinned edges with headband look and wanted something a little different so I tried the style I found and it turned out pretty cute…if I may say so myself, lol!!  Take a look:
A slight change can make a BIG difference right!…



Or if you want to get a little more adventurous (LOL!) you can do two (2) flat twists instead of one…

What do you think??
To accomplish this either look, I defined my curls using Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel.  Then followed the next few steps:
1.  After co-washing my hair, I sectioned off rows of my damp hair (starting from the back bottom row).
2. Next, I added my leave in conditioner to the section followed by either castor oil or Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie (found at Target) to seal in moisture.
3. Then I added the gel throughout the sectioned off hair…(be mindful not to add too much gel! The gel will distribute throughout the hair while brushing it through)…I used my [knockoff] Denman brush to detangle and brush the product through.  After detangling, brush the hair in an upward motion while twisting the brush (kind of like using a curling iron to curl flip the hair up).  This will create spiral curls at the ends of your hair. 
4. Use your fingers to separate the curls to make them individual.  Note**handling the hair too much can cause frizz**
5. Continue to section off hair row by row and follow steps 1-4 until the entire head is done.
6. Make a small part on side of head (whatever side you like) and part a small section in the front.  Flat twist the sectioned off portion going downward.  When you get to the end of the twist, pin the end back with a bobby pin. 
7. Take the small section on the other side that was left out and use gel to slick back edges.  Lightly brush the hair back with hands or soft bristle brush.  Then use a few bobby pins to hold the section in place.
YOU ARE DONE!!
To maintain style the next few days use an aloe vera juice/vegetable glycerin mix to spray on your curls to revive them.  Use tips of fingers to fluff and shape your twa. 
Untwist your flat twist and retwist.  You can re-gel and re-pin the small section on the other side and you are DONE!! 
**Optional: Add gel to your baby hairs and brush in place for a more finished look!
 I can stretch this style for a week!!!  Give it a try!  It’s EASY as PIE! J
Be Blessed!
~NaturallyCreole~

No comments:

Post a Comment