Sunday, September 8, 2013

Savvy Small Business Sunday | Meet Melissa C.

The minute I saw this girls Instagram page I feel in love with her style. Melissa is one of the most creative women on IG that I "know!" Hands down. So it goes without saying when I noticed she posted a picture of a clutch she handmade, I had to grab one for myself! I'm proud to saw I was one of the first to purchase from her dope collection and I will be a customer of hers for many years to come! Meet Melissa C. ...



What is the name of your business?
Hardware Cluthes by Mel. C


What does the business do?
 Customize Clutches using fabric (faux leather, cotton, suede, etc.) or paint and also adding my signature "hardware" detail to each one.


Is the business solely online or do you have a location?  We would like to know how to find you; please include website and contact email.
 It's solely online. You can directly purchase a clutch from one I have already made from my online store : Hardwareclutch.bigcartel.com

Or you can email me HERE if you have a whole new concept you want to bring to the table.


When did you start your business?
 It seems like a long time but I've been doing this for about a year now. 


Why did you choose to start your own business?
 I didn't choose it. It chose me.

I wanted to showcase I DIY clutch project on Instagram on how to create a simple envelope clutch out of basic things you could find and Home Depot and office max. I posted the picture and shortly after someone offered to buy it. It didn’t stop there... People kept emailing me asking to purchase that original clutch I did, so I found myself making more and more and selling them. That basic clutch eventually evolved after I started incorporating different fabrics and different types of features. First came the  "Lioness" using doorknockers I also found at a hardware store.  Then came the "Spiked" which incorporates screws and spike on a front strap that makes the clutch easier to carry. 

It's been a great blessing and adventure. I've gotten a chance to connect with so many people via social media because of the clutches and it has also given me a chance to explore other artistic and creative avenues.  I definitely will keep creating and sharing. 

What advice do you have for someone else trying to start his or her own small business?
1) Go for it! If you are passionate about it, just do it. Others will recognize your passion through your work and support you. 

2) Take advice from those who have experience. It's your endeavor, but when you have people that want you to succeed and gives you sound advice, listen.

3) Keep them wanting more. Relevance is essential for longevity. 

Is there anything else you would like for our readers to know about you?
I love love love art in all forms. If I didn't have bills to pay, I would quit my job, make purses for fun and go become a starving artist in New York--maybe not starving, I would maintain a steady flow of baked goods into my belly ;) I absolutely love each and every person who has supported me so far and given me reason to live a creative life. I am eternally grateful. 


Guys, do me a favor and go check out Mel! Here's her info:

 Instagram: @clarmeli86
Shop: harwareclutch.bigcartel.com
Email: harwareclutch@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment